/ vendredi, février 24, 2006
I had wanted to write about something that I think would have invited a response or two on the tagboard, saying how evil I am and such. But to avoid that sorta responses, and because writing academic essays would be more satisfying[in that I get graded] than blogging it for the world to see[half of which doesn't agree with me], and because I still love my head, I shall just write about something much more benign:
7 weeks of school, n I realise that practically all my modules have to do with colonialism. Except for sc2101, since it's like research methods, meaning there isnt any particular topic[social problem] that the lecturers dwell on for each lecture. Rather they'd just give a broad range of examples from the contemporary world for whatever method that they teach. But the rest of my modules, sc3101, sc3205, laf3201 and of cos eu2221, have very much to do with colonialism.
sc3101: with sociological thinkers explaining why capitalism could develop only in europe[don't wish to explicate the reasons here cos I'd be writing a soci essay and I know not all my frens like soci], they in turn give a clue as to why colonialism could be justified.
sc3205: not so much colonialism in itself, but rather we need to learn about things like modernisation and dependency theories which are indeed quite related to the experience of colonisation, and they do touch upon post-colonialism.
now 3101 and 3205 are not even european studies modules.
laf3201: the module itself isnt about colonialism, but becos we learn about french life and culture, apart from figuring the technical aspects of the module, we get history as well. and yes colonialism included. and the book I'm "studying", or rather focusing on for my obligatory forum posts and oral test, was written in the age of colonialism. Deux ans de vacances by Jules Verne. a book about the maritime expedition embarked on by a bunch of boys. If you read the book urself, u'll see aspects of colonialism in it. the whole book. now that's a mouthful of colonialism in french...
eu2221: like of cos there is colonialism or the module won't be named so. No explanation needed here. It's just colonialism day in day out, "same bad time, same bad channel", to quote my eu lecturer.
Can someone tell me why I am so smart to take all these modules all at one go? I thought only eu2221 would be about colonialism.
I painted my dreams at
4:30 AM