/ jeudi, juillet 07, 2005
LONDON 2012
personally, I didn't expect London to win the bid. moreover, I'd have preferred Paris to win as the city looks more exciting than London. but anyway, I'm happy the Olympic Games will still be held in Europe. Cos now I've got something concrete to work towards.
One of my biggest dreams has been to be able to tour Europe by the age of 30. If I wanna fulfill that dream when i'm 30 on the dot, I'll have about 10 yrs to save up all the money. Now that we know where the 2012 Olympic Games will be held, there's a bigger reason for me to make this dream come true and not leave it as a pipe dream. I'll only have 7 years to save up, but I believe there's enough time. 2 yrs more to graduation, God willing, and hopefully I'll get a job in the first yr of graduation. So that leaves me about 4-5 years to really save up till 2012. woohoo it feels good to have something big to which you can work towards. ;D
Back to London's bid. Seriously, I thought that Paris would win it. Although the London video looked more impressive to me. If Paris had won, it would have been easier if I wanna visit Le Musee du Louvre, La Tour Eiffel or look at the old buildings as I walk along the sides of La Seine. Well, maybe the language factor played a part. As some experts had speculated, New York's elimination definitely would have helped the remaining English-speaking city, in this case, London. Whatever the case, I'm not like utterly disappointed that London won the bid. Afterall, who knows maybe I can catch a glimpse of the middle-aged David Beckham or even get his autograph? I believe he will be 37 then, but let's just see how he will look like then....haha...
Anyway, here's an excerpt from a BBC article on London's win over Paris:
"Two years of blood, sweat and tears replaced by an instantaneous dose of joy and pain, depending on what side of the Channel you come from. "
I found that line interesting yet disturbing. Why issit that England and France always have issues with each other? yesyes it has to do with history that goes years and years back but how come cannot shake hands and be good friends? Yesterday, London's victory was celebrated at Trafalgar Square, a place to commemorate England's defeat of France in the Naval Battle of 1805[they mentioned it yesterday and now I think I remember seeing it somewhere in my EU1101E notes]. now, that's like history repeating itself... ok, run out of ideas oredi. I'm having a headache planning my modules so I'll just cut the story short.
Although I'll be at the English side of the Channel first, I'm confident I can reach the other side of the Channel in 2012. If I have money to cross the Channel, that is. Wait for me, Paris!
I painted my dreams at
2:28 AM