/ vendredi, août 18, 2006
The first week in a nutshellNo surprises. I'm still stuck in holiday mood. Lazy dunno because of what oso lar. It's not as if I had to intern sumwhere or what rite? Haha I'm such a slacker lar...
Nevertheless, lectures were quite enjoyable, I must say. Besides the Western Political Thought module, all the other courses I'm taking are kinda my choices, if I may say so. I don't exactly think it's going to be that bad after all, but oh well, when I see things like project and essay deadlines, class tests and what not, I get a bit edgy. Ok a bit is an understatement lar. However, much as I may cringe at the thought of reading so much stuff and meeting deadlines, I do tell myself to enjoy myself during lessons as much as possible. And so far, it has happened for me, for which I'm thankful.
Well, I also tell myself that what I learn in every course has to be useful cos they wouldn't be offered for the sake of giving jobs to lecturers or sth rite? Of course, there are some modules that help me more as I go on...things like Colonialism, Sociology of Power...they help me make links in everyday life.
Ok now I've forgotten why the above paragraph's there. Not feeling very coherent right now at 12.47am. Maybe it's the effect of marking 'O' Level (MATHS) practice papers. And thinking about the solutions to the sums.
This shall be the last paragraph cos I'm rubbing my eyes already. I'm just realising that I might love language and the history of it. I'm not going so far as saying I've chosen the wrong majors but somehow my 2 areas of study have helped me develop my love for language (and I'm like yearning to do a 3rd major, hehe). Not so much the technical side of it but the historical, political and socio-cultural aspects of language. Learning French definitely helps cultivate the love, especially when I find similarities in French and English and French and Malay. Taking the Colonialism & Empires course helped clear my doubts about some areas and their languages. Doing sociology helps explain the use and spread of language around the world. Now I just feel lucky to be doing Social Variation in English. It's like my fav module this semester, haha...
Ok that was supposedly the last paragraph but wasn't quite it huh. Hmm oh well, I shall call it a night. Let's just hope this semester turns out well.
Bonne nuit!
I painted my dreams at
9:38 AM